Sunday, October 12, 2014

Well, the show today was a wash for me.

Didn't sell the SKS I was hoping to get rid of to float some of the CT expenses. Did meet a few great readers and chatted for a while -- both yesterday and today -- although not as many as I had hoped. The chief fault for that, I'm sure, is the cluster coital situation around the Civic Center -- competing events, traditional free parking blocked off because of construction. That left the parking decks which cost $8 a day (plus a similar amount to get in). $16 is a heckuva lot to ask somebody to pay for a gun show. And that's if they could even get close to the paid parking through the "save-the-mammaries" breast cancer walk yesterday.
I want to particularly thank Mr. K from the Huntsville area who braved all of the STM crowd to chat with me.
The show was, despite all the many difficulties, well attended yesterday although today was very thin. Prices overall were down, availability was up -- except, of course, for .22 Long Rifle. Noticed a LOT of ammunition cans of all types and sizes being sold. I picked up a couple of German Kochgeschirr 31 pattern aluminum mess kits for cheap yesterday for some newbies who needed them. (I have always thought the German pattern was far superior to the GI meat cans.)
Was only able to find 100 pieces of .357 brass for $15 at the whole show, which I gritted my teeth and bought because we're getting ready to load that caliber on the smaller press but are short of brass. (For some reason we have plenty of .38s but no one is leaving .357s at the ranges where I scrounge. If anybody is holding some and is willing to trade some other caliber for it, please drop me an email at GeorgeMason1776ATaolDOTcom.)
Three other frustrations at the show. I have a friend who asked me to sell 9 new-in-the-box FNC steel 30 round AR type mags. I thought they were fairly priced at $20.00 each or all 9 for $150.00 but didn't get a glimmer of interest. Were they over-priced?
Another frustration: I have been looking for wire-bound USGI ammunition crates like the one below to fit M2A1 "fifty cal" cans and the larger PA-108 SAW cans. I used to find them easily but are unobtanium these days. Anybody have any sitting around we might work a deal on? I need a couple of each size to finish a project.
Final frustration. I am looking for Hungarian 20 round AMD-65 magazines and there were NONE to be had at the show. Anybody got any spares we can do a deal on?

9 comments:

MissAnthropy said...

The Hungarian tanker mags seem to be hard to find, and have been for a while now. I recently bought some Korean-made 20 round AK magazines from CDNN. They appear to be well made, but I've yet to try them. If you want 20 round AK magazines, those might be an option.

Re: your friend's AR mags for $20 each. I'm guessing most people figure they can get PMags for about $12 a pop and that's why you didn't get any bites on them.

Anonymous said...

I hope at least the III stickers I sent were of some use to you Mike.

Liberty Clause.

Anonymous said...

The problem on selling the FN made mags for 20 each is that Pmags are around 11 or 12 each these days for non-windowed gen 2 new in the wrapper mags. And D&H metal mags can be found for 8 or 9 dollars, and the best metal mags of all, the NHMTG (Colt) with mAgpul followers are 11 or 12 online.

The downside of trying to sell AR15 stuff these days is it is a buyer's market with tons of excess goods pushing the price down. Now is a great time to buy, but your friend is better off waiting to sell for the next political scare unless he is willing to get a lot less than that for his mags.

As an example, my favorite AR maker, BCM, is giving away their outstanding bolt carrier groups for free on any of their uppers they sell, plus free compensators they make. Those bolt carrier groups easily went for $160 or $180 prior to Newtown and have always been in high demand, and the comps are easily worth 50 bucks or more. Brand new Colt 6920s are going for 900 at wal-mart and 6720s were recently on sale at palmetto state armory for $799!

Now is the time to stock up before the next big rush.

Dutchman6 said...

Liberty Clause,

Thank you, and yes, they will be. I intend to use them in Connecticut. I'm sorry I didn't recognize your contribution earlier, but you will be seeing them in action -- if I can ever get the CT trip to come together.

bondmen said...

Are you looking for .357 Sig or .357 Magnum cases Mike? Here's a link to some brass http://gibrass.com/brass.html

There's some Magnum brass here: http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=357+mag+brass

LMK and I'll see what we can do.

Anonymous said...

yeah 20$ is too much

Anonymous said...

Mike ,be thankful you're state even allows. Has gun shows !!! Since Newtown, there hasn't been one gun show in the Unconstitutional, Collectivist State of Connecticut . I know. Local Police Chiefs ,are even denying them , in their jurisdiction's. I need to relocate. $$$ , is an issue. So is travel. North or South of Ct. Is still Behind Enemy Lines. Mass. , N.Y., N.J. A 45 yr. collection ,is not easy to move. Nor conceal. Nov. 4 th is fast approaching. And that Collectivist[D] Dim - wit Daniel Malloy ,his Czars, and Stasis Foot soldiers are going to put the boot to Our Necks Here. The sheep, lemmings, goyium will vote him another term as Governor. Behind Enemy Lines In Collectivist Ct. We Will Not Stand Down !!!! AAA/O. 11B20.

Anonymous said...

As long as PMAGs are going for $12-14 I dont know why anyone would pay more for a magazine.
PMAGs are superior in every way to any other manufacture, including stressability by driving a deuce and a half over a contract/metal mag and a PMAG and the PMAG still being usable.
Knock em down to PMAG price and they might sell.

skybill said...

Hi Mike,
'Don't know if it'll help much but there should be some .357mag spent rounds in my stash from the range. I'll check and try to get another package out to you soon.
Got Gunz??,
III%,
skybill-out